Picky Eaters: How to feed your picky eating pet
Potential Issues Causing Picky Eaters:
- Free Feeding - leaving food out at all times for grazing when pet needs to eat
- Feeding table scraps - not necessarily people food that causes this, but the behavioral patterns that feeding dogs from plates and the table create over time. This can also lead to undesirable begging, whining, counter surfing, increased risk of obesity, and digestive problems.
- Lack of variety in diet - quality of food is of course important, but often Ultra Premium food varieties allow more diverse ingredients and protein sources. Also, switching styles within the same line will allow easier transition and build stronger digestive systems.
- “Bi-products” - this is a loose labeling term for anything that is not derived from a single meat source and is not 100% human grade. All of the Ultra Premium food lines sold at Muttropolis, offer only 100% Human grade ingredients and are free of all “bi-products” as well as many of the more commonly used heavy preservatives and allergy causing fillers (corn, wheat, soy, etc). The actual items within this label can change from bag to bag and can eventually lead to allergies, increased health concerns, and often produce picky eaters!
- Inconsistent Feeding Schedule - Dogs and cats are much like children in their responsiveness to a very consistent schedule. Our pets rely on us to provide them with love and leadership and most importantly a regular routine to allow them to be happy and healthy dogs and cats. A regular feeding schedule will also aid in balancing their energy and activity.
Feed Ultra Premium Foods: Muttropolis only carries foods considered Ultra-Premium. Ultra premium Foods are distinct mainly by the high standards placed on their ingredients. These foods will provide the best balance of nutrition to ensure a long and healthy life. Many commercial foods use large amounts of common allergens such as corn, wheat, and soy as fillers which lead to increased waste and large feeding amounts. Because of their superior ingredients, dogs on ultra premium varieties require less food each day which leads to less waste. Please ask a Muttropolis associate for more information on the importance of Ultra Premium Foods.
Scheduled feeding times: Measuring your pets food each scheduled meal time will allow better assessment of their eating habits that could alert you to possible or future changes in their medical needs. Also, this often encourages pets to eat the food when it is provided, as if they do not consume it within a set time, it is removed and not provided until the next scheduled meal time. Adult dogs are generally fed twice a day, while puppies and dogs with medical conditions will benefit from three meals a day. Cats and kittens vary, but often do well with one meal a day.
Supplementing a kibble diet with canned food: Adding a tablespoon or two of an Ultra Premium canned food could entice your picky pup or finicky feline into enjoying their meal time. Adding a touch of warm water to the food can also increase it’s palatability and encourage eating.
Feeding a Raw Diet: The belief behind the raw meat and bones diet stems from the history of our dogs and cats. Dogs and Cats were naturally engineered to digest and consume raw meat, vegetables, and calcium rich bones. With styles by Nature’s Variety and Halshan’s, this diet is made easier for pet parents that desire the ease of kibble diets, but wish to provide a more natural alternative. Cooking the food results in a loss of the natural enzymes within the ingredients. These enzymes are extremely vital to a pets health and support their well-being.
Additional Note: Please ask a Muttropolis associate for other great ideas on increasing your pets eating habits. For more information on pet food, see our article on common pet food ingredients and their benefits.