Our four-legged babies are important members of our families, so they should be able to do everything with us - right?! Luckily, there are some spots that are dog-friendly, including certain restaurants. If you decide to dine out with your dog, it's important to use proper etiquette to make the experience enjoyable for all. We have 7 tried and true tips for dining out with your dog!
1. Check the dog policy. Always make sure ahead of time that the restaurant or other establishment allows dogs. If you don't check, it can put you and the people working at the restaurant in an uncomfortable position.
2. Stay leashed. Often dogs get so excited by new sights and smells that they momentarily lose all of their manners. It's best to keep them on a leash so they don't accidentally create a commotion inside the restaurant. A leash also keeps them by your table so they don't get in the way of the wait staff or any other restaurant-goers.
3. Keep calm. Make sure your dog is well-behaved. Don't let your dog visit others unless you have their permission!
4. BYODB (Bring Your Own Dog Bowl!). Some restaurant rules don't allow dogs to eat out of their dishes or cutlery, so we recommend bringing a dog bowl from home. This way, they can share the eating experience with their humans which keeps everyone happy (and full!).
5. Say no to begging. Not all patrons will be amused with your pooch's attempt to snag some extra food. To be courteous, put those puppy eyes away!
6. Play with your dog beforehand. This way, you can expend some of your dog's energy and they will be more relaxed during your meal.
7. Go to the bathroom beforehand. This might seem like an afterthought, but it's important that your dog doesn't have to do their business in the middle of the restaurant while people are eating!
With these 7 tips for dining out with your dog, we hope you enjoy a family meal with your pup in the near future.